First Unitarian Universalist Church

Church
Courtesy of Dawes Memorial Libary


First Unitarian Universalist Church232 Third StreetThis church owes its existence to Nahum Ward (1785-1860), a prominent Marietta land speculator and philanthropist. In 1855 Ward put out a call to establish a liberal Christian church, and two years later, at a cost of $25,000 to Ward, this church opened its doors. Mr. Ward then sold the church to the congregation for one dollar. The architect John M. Slocomb designed the church in the Gothic Revival style, and he also designed other Marietta landmarks such as 'The Castle’ at 418 Fourth Street, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church on 320 Second Street, the Anchorage (Putnam Villa) at 418 Harmar Street, and Henderson Hall near Boaz, West Virginia. The church features faux bois painting in the interior woodwork to resemble oak, and all of the woodwork, wainscoting and pews are original. There is a curved stairway inside with a carved walnut banister reputedly carved by a former slave.