Celeron Monument

Celeron MonumentCeleron MonumentIntersection of Gilman & Virginia Streets
A lead plate was buried near the mouth of the Muskingum River in present day Harmar by Captain Joseph Pierre Bienville de Celoron (1693-1759) on August 15, 1749. It was the fourth such marker placed by Celoron's Expedition on his trip down the Ohio River. The original plate was discovered in 1798 by some local boys playing in the area and eventually was moved to the American Antiquarian Society in Worchester, MA. This large bronze plaque (left) contains the same wording as the original Celeron plate, officially claiming King Louis XV of France ruler of the Ohio Valley region.