Drinking Water History
Bits & Pieces
August 4, 1857-Wells- Person or Persons digging water well must provide pump, buckets or fixtures for drawing water.
December 4, 1874-Public Cisterns- Any person taking water from public cisterns, except by permit from Council, for any purpose other than the extinguishment of fires will be fined not less than $1.00 and not more than $10.00.
September 13, 1889-Bonds for Construction- To provide means for the construction and completion of a system of water works. The plant was on South Seventh Street and used water from the Ohio River. A newspaper account said that the first water sample from the new Ohio River Plant was collected on May 6, 1905.
July 7, 1903-Fire Hydrant- No person shall tie or hitch any horse or other animal to any fire hydrant.
February 5, 1914-Water Meters - To install water meters for the supply of water and usage of water charged by the reading on the meter and not by a flat rate. All outside water faucets and water supply pipes shall be sealed as long as the user of water is in arrears for the payment.
March 7, 1919-Water Service on Greene Street - Extension of water service from pump station to Greene Street by a 6" water main was completed.
March 18, 1920-Construction Water Plant - To hire an Engineer to advise the city in construction of a water plant.
July 5, 1923 Water Purification Methods - H. R. Eggleston and William J. Evilsizer, employees of Water Works Dept., were sent to Zanesville to investigate water purification methods.
June 19, 1924 Fairview Heights - Water tower was built to supply water to Fairview Heights at a cost of $750.00
March 5, 1925 - Repairing of Water Connections - Property owner shall furnish all materials necessary for repairing water connections, water connections shall be first-class galvanized pipe.
1938 - Plans began for a new water treatment facility at 2000 Fourth Street.
1940 - Water Treatment Plant began operations.
1946 - Ordinance 47 - Extending Water Lines - An Ordinance to extend water lines to Goodrich Plant and Highland Meadows Sub-Division.
1949 - Major changes were made to the water treatment process by adding flash mix, flocculation and settling tanks.
1961 - Fluoride was added to the plant process. The Marietta Kiwanis Club donated the fluoride feed equipment.
1973 & 1974 - Only two (2) of the original three (3) 1938-39 wells are still in use by 1974. Wells 5, 6, 7, & 8 were developed.
1974 - North Hills Tank (500,000 gallons) and several pressure regulating stations add to that water service area.
1975 - March saw the start up of Water Treatment Plant #2, which added 3.O Million Gallons Per Day (MGD) capacity combined with WTP#1 design @ 2.8 MGD, plus and sludge/filter dewatering process system. A two (2) million gallon Plant Storage Tank was also added to provide additional storage and reserve supply ready for distribution to our water customers.
1994 - Upgrades to softening equipment at Plant #1 were completed having been last upgraded in 1968.
1997 - Major renovations to both Water Treatment Plants and added process equipment to minimize down time due to required maintenance and breakdowns.
2000 - East Norwood Two (2) million gallon water tank went into service.
2004 - Glendale Tank Reservoir replaced with two (2) million gallon tank.